The Ford Firm presents the following organizational and informational links to help individuals and family members diagnosed with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI).
The links below are chosen to give you:
- an overview of what TBI is;
- resources through the State of Alabama that can help the person with TBI (and thus the family);
- links to other governmental agencies and programs that can provide you with some assistance (medical, vocational, therapeutic and rehabilitative);
- home mortgage payment assistance;
- how to start a "GO FUND ME" page to help solicit donations for medical expenses, equipment, and co-pays;
- The last link provides stories of hope from people who have Traumatic Brain Injuries and have already experienced the journey that is ahead of you or your loved one.
TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY OVERVIEW AND EXPLANATION
STATE OF ALABAMA - TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY PROGRAM
The Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Services (ADRS)
The site provides information on services such as information and referral, educational assistance, pre-vocational resources, employment assistance, and extended support provision.
HELP IN ALABAMA
ADVOCACY / REHABILITATION / VOCATIONAL / And Other Links
SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY AND SUPPLEMENTAL INCOME INFORMATION http://www.rehab.alabama.gov/individuals-and-families/vocational-rehabilitation-service-general/ssdi-ssi
AMERICAN'S WITH DISABILITIES INFORMATION LINEhttp://www.rehab.alabama.gov/individuals-and-families/vocational-rehabilitation-service-general/ada-information-line
ALABAMA RESOURCES LINKS
Brain Injury Resources / Links to Helpful Resources
MORTGAGE PAYMENT ASSISTANCE
General Eligibility InformationHousehold Income:
For all options except Lien Extinguishment, the household income limit is $84,280 (including all occupants 18 years & older). The household limit to qualify for Lien Extinguishment is $60,200.Mortgage Balance:
$258,690 or lessOccupancy:
Must be primary residenceProperty:
Single-family, attached or detached, and manufactured housing that is attached to real propertyLocation:
Property must be located in the state of AlabamaEligible Hardships:
Unemployed, underemployed, divorce, death of a spouse, medical hardship, and/or disabilityhttps://www.hardesthitalabama.com/
HOW TO START A "GO FUND ME" PAGEhttps://www.gofundme.com/
A GoFundMe page is a good way to solicit funds from friends and strangers to help you cover medical bills and expenses.
1. Go to the website address above
2. You are setting up a GoFundMe site for an INDIVIDUAL
3. Click on the green banner box that sets "START A GOFUNDME"
4. Enter your name, email address and password
5. Create the STORY of what is happening in your life and what you are raising money for. Here is the GoFundMe tutorial video https://www.gofundme.com/c/how-it-works.
6. Be sure to use pictures and videos to show the struggles you are going through what you want to do with the funds. The Ford Firm suggests that you consider using the approaches used with juries at trial. Nearly all juries are sympathetic to someone who is injured, but it's hard getting them to award enough money (or give in this case) for someone if you can't show them how the funds will be used. So, try showing "HOW" the funds would help the person's life. For example, show pictures of your life before the injury and the activities you were engaged in. Show the effects of your injury in a "day-in-the-life-of" video. Tell how you would use the funds to help pay off your medical bills, buy equipment (wheelchairs, walkers, home wheelchair ramp, handicap accessible bathroom, etc.) to help you get around and what NEW activities you would engage in to have a more fulfilling life! The extent of YOUR injury will determine what medical equipment you will need. When you show people how you are planning to overcome your challenge they are more likely to "join the team" to support you!
7. Once your campaign is set up, email everyone you know, post on Instagram and post your GoFundMe page on Facebook and anywhere else you can! You will need to ask your friends and family to share your page to get the best results. Advertising on the internet is not a guarantee of success. But your effort can make the difference because there are a lot of good people out there who will donate to your cause.
8. REMEMBER TO PAY TAXES ON THE FUNDS YOU RECEIVE! The money you receive would be considered "income", please check with a tax accountant or tax lawyer if you have any questions.
STORIES OF HOPE
Take strength and comfort from the stories of others who have been dealing with TBI.https://www.hopeafterbraininjury.org/My name is Randal Ford and I help accident victims who have suffered a TBI injury. If you or your loved one suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury due to a car accident, or any other accident caused by the negligence of others, please call me at 205-454-7500 to see if we can partner together to obtain compensation to assist you or your loved one with the medical costs of the injury and to obtain compensation to assist you in the subsequent journey to healing. There is no attorney fee unless you win your case!.